Ocean City, MD general information
LOCAL TRANSPORT - During the summer you can get around the city on the Ocean City bus. The bus runs 24 hours a day, every 10-15 minutes from Downtown all the way up to the Delaware State line (142TH street). It will cost you $2 a day (exact change is required), or you can buy a book of 10 tickets for $15 in several places in OC (City Hall, any transfer stations, Convention Center). There are also several places where you can buy a bike for the summer. One place is Ocean City E-Point Student Center located at 15th street shopping center. E-Point has different types of bikes for a reasonable price, so you just have to choose which one is the best for you. You can return your bike along with the original Bill of Sale at the end of the season and get half of the price back. Usually the price for a bike is from $35 - $60. Remember, when riding a bike in Ocean City you must obey the rules of the road such as not riding facing the traffic and using proper hand signals when turning and changing lanes. Please read bike regulations below.
ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES - Drinking alcoholic beverages in public is strictly prohibited. Possession of open containers on the Beach, Boardwalk, or any municipal street, alley, sidewalk, or parking lot is prohibited at all times. Also going to the bar or club you must present valid government ID, such as passport to get in. To purchase Alcoholic beverages you must be 21 years of age.
NOISE CONTROL - Excessive noise is prohibited. Generally, noise which can be heard more than 50 feet from its source is considered excessive. Noise meters are used for enforcement. On the Beach and Boardwalk, radios, stereos, etc. may not disturb others at anytime. On City buses, headsets must be used with these personal entertainment devices.
BEACH RULES - Ball-throwing, Frisbees, and other sports are not allowed while the Beach Patrol Guards are on duty between 9:00 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. daily from May 30 to September 15. The use of kites, surf mats and boogie boards is under the control of the Beach Patrol Guards. Sleeping is not permitted on the beach between 10:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. No private vehicles are permitted on the beach at any time. Surf fishing is permitted but not within 50 yards of swimmers or of anyone on the beach between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m.
SURFING - During the busy season (approximately Memorial Day to Labor Day) surfing is allowed at any beach before 10:00 a.m. and after 5:30 p.m., and during the day at two designated areas announced daily on local radio stations, listed in local newspapers and at area surf shops. Surf board leashes are required for safety.
BICYCLES and ROLLERBLADES are allowed on the Boardwalk during certain times from April 1 through September 30: WEEKDAYS, April 1-May 29: 2am- 4pm -- May 30-Sept. 5: 2am - 10am -- Sept. 6 - Sept. 30: 2am - 4pm -- WEEKENDS/HOLIDAYS, April 1 - May 14: 2am - 12noon -- May 15-Sept. 30, 2am - 10am. NO RESTRICTIONS: Oct. 1 - March 30. Elsewhere, bicycles may be ridden, following all Maryland laws and safe bicycling rules. Remember to ride in the same direction as motor vehicle traffic and observe stop signs and traffic signals. In the evening and at night, a headlight and rear reflector is required.
Remember: Cheap new bikes are sold at E-Point Center. Please contact us.
SKATEBOARDS are not permitted on the Boardwalk, public streets, alleys, sidewalks and public lots throughout Ocean City. A skateboard park is available at 3rd Street and St. Louis Avenue.
MEDICAL ASSISTANCE: Before you arrived in the US, your program sponsor secured health/medical insurance for you. They should have provided you with a health/medical insurance card that you should carry with you at all times. You need to find out from your sponsor what the insurance covers in case you are in need of medical/health services while you are in the US. If you get sick, have an accident or have a medical emergency, you should seek medical assistance at one of the local medical centers or at Atlantic General Hospital. Atlantic General Hospital will usually accept your insurance as payment, other medical centers will require you to pay first then you will have to seek reimbursement through your insurance provider.
LEGAL ISSUES: Over the last several years in Ocean City, there has been an increase in shoplifting (stealing), especially during the summer. The United States has the same laws as your home country about stealing. It may look like you can take anything you want and leave the store because nobody is watching you. But the situation is completely different – each store has video cameras that are hidden from customers so you cannot really see many of them. Also, in the big markets some employees are walking around as customers and watching you. If you get caught do not ever try to bribe the police officer or employee of the store because it is illegal and gets you into even more trouble. Many students go to jail for some time before the trial. You can spend up to 1 month or more in jail waiting for your court trial; or pay from $1,000 or more to get out on bail. Then you still need to go to court where a judge will decide what to do with you. By committing any crime while you are in the US, you are closing the door to reentering this country again.
Ocean City MD - City Ordinances
· Use the sidewalk where it is available.
· Cross only at marked crosswalks; wait for the signal at pedestrian signal light.
· Do not walk or jog in the bus/bike lane on Coastal Highway.
· Hitch-hiking anywhere in the USA is prohibited.
· Drinking any alcoholic beverage in public is prohibited. You are not allowed to possess an open container of any alcoholic beverage in public.
· Sleeping in any motor vehicle is prohibited.
· Sleeping on the beach is not allowed during the night.
· No private vehicles are permitted on the beach at any time.
· Drinking age in the USA is 21. You will be asked to show a Visa and Passport I. D. at all times entering the bar, pub, ordering an alcohol beverage in restaurant, or entering a liquor store.
· Frisbees, ball throwing and other sports are not allowed on the beach 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. daily from May 30 to September 15.
· Skateboards are not permitted on the Boardwalk, public streets, alleys, sidewalks and public lots. Check the Boardwalk rules for bicycles and roller skates since they vary through the year.
· The use of kites, surf mats and boogie boards is under the control of the Beach Patrol Guards.
· No disruptive noises can be made between 12:00 midnight and 7:00 a.m., in such a manner as to be plainly heard at a distance of 50 feet from the building or structure which it is located.
· On City buses, headsets must be used with these personal entertainment devices.
PLEASE USE CROSSWALKS WHEN CROSSING ALL STREETS. WALK SMART AND PUSH THE BUTTON, NOT YOUR LUCK!
INTERNET RESOURCE LINKS:
Web Site – Town of Ocean City, Maryland Ocean City MD Town Ordinances
Web Site – Ocean City MD Chamber of Commerce www.oceancity.org
Web Site – Berlin MD Chamber of Commerce www.berlinmdcc.org